Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single ferrite core in smps for charging and inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqildad

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is this possible to use one ferrite core transformer in smps ups for both battery charging and inverter ???

This ferrite core will charge battery at main and also will use in inverter to generate approx 280v dc at 50khz frequency if main is not available ?????

it mean practically it is impossible to do ?? why ??? what are the draw back or disadvantages ???

I presume you have an idea about the block diagram of the inverter. To use the ferrite transformer for battery charging, you need to feed the high voltage winding of the transformer with a 50 kHz AC voltage. How do you chop the mains voltage (probably after rectifying it)?

Assuming that, as FVM mentioned, that when you are in charge mode somehow you already know how to chop the mains voltage, I can think about a half dozen reasons this is not a good idea, but I will list the most important three:

1) Poor core utilization. When the inverter winding is working the charging one is idle, and viceversa. This idle winding is doing nothing, but is still occupying a core window area.

2) Difficulty in achieving low leakage inductance...for the same reasons as above. Low leakage inductance is crucial for successful and efficient high frequency conversion.

3) Difficulty in isolating the charging and inverting functions between each other. When one is active, and the other is inactive, it will still present some sort of loading. Plus it will have to withstand some voltage stresses.

Again, it could be done. But it is not practical.

thank you Fvm and achmitt trigger .. your reply is informative and help full for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.