Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sine to square wave conv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahram

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sine to square wave

hi all,
I need a simple circuit comprised of transistors to convert a sine voltage(eg. 150vac) to square one(also converting the voltage amplitude) for avr microcontroller input.
I really need your help(I'm new to this forum:cry:)thanx

sine to square converter

I think that you can solve the problem with a simple zero cross detector.
Try one of the following:
hxxp://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=6225
hxxp://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/60hzclk.htm
hxxp://www.google.com and search for zero cross detector circuit

Bahram

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sine to square

dear xvibe,thanx for your help
question: a VCO is needed for converting the voltage amplitude to freq.?

square wave

Apparently, xvibe didn't understand your question because of the rather confusing specification. I understand now,
that you're requesting a voltage-to-frequency converter. To use it with a bipolar voltage, you have to apply an input offset.

Because most recent uP have on chip ADC, voltage-to-frequency conversion is a somewhat outdated method. As you
correctly said, a VCO is required as basic building block. Chips as National LM331 can provide a low part count solution.
You'll also find VCO circuits in many manufacturer application notes, e.g. National LM139 data sheet.

Bahram

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
square to sine

Ops, i though that it was just sine to square have converter or for frequency metering proposes.

convert sine to square wave

Sorry,It seems that I have to explain myself more clearly!

you know, I want to measure the output frequency of an electronic ballast(or the applied frequency to the lamp ).It means that I have to obtain freq. from the output voltage of the ballast(the lamp voltage).

firstly, I think the voltage which is sine wave should be vonverted to square wave, considering the following:
1.sine to square conversion
2.voltage to freq. conversion
and in the end,the frequency will be measured with the help of a microcontroller!
this project has other parameters to be measured in addition to freq. such as lamp current and lamp crest voltage.

I would be pleased to see your ideas..
many many thanks ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back