Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulation near field measurement setup in HFSS

warran

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[ MOVED FROM ORIGINAL THREAD ]
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/dipole-antenna-gain-vs-electric-field-in-hfss.409372/#post-1765153

Gain is a far field parameter! It is calculated by measuring the near field data, and internally running transformation from near field to far field.
You should really use the calculated gain, not the (near) field data.
Hello Mr. volker
I am working on a simulation near field measurement setup in HFSS. I tried to measure the phase and amplitude of the electric field, on two points in a line across the dielectric, of coax came from probe. I enclosed all setup inside a radiation boundry. I could not figure out how can I terminate coax so that I get the proper phase value. Now, I let it open and I get some spikes shifted by about 180 degree compared to the phase obtained directly from hfss ( without probe).
Should I find it someway by using field calculator or is it possible to get by fixing the systematic stuffs in my model?

I am looking forward to get some idea from you. It would be great help for me. Thank you for your time and effort.

Regards
Sanad

Attachments

• horn_probe.jpg
    horn_probe.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
I could not figure out how can I terminate coax so that I get the proper phase value
In the EM simulator that I use (Empire XPU) coax ports are available, which terminate the coax for proper setup.
If HFSS does not offer coax ports, you can try a lumped port between the coax center conductor and coax shield.

In the EM simulator that I use (Empire XPU) coax ports are available, which terminate the coax for proper setup.
If HFSS does not offer coax ports, you can try a lumped port between the coax center conductor and coax shield.
Thank you Mr. volker for your insights! I will try this.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: