Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulating Mutually coupled inductors in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajidmuhaimin

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to simulate two mutually coupled coils. I have created one coil in HFSS with 3d boxes, applying PEC material and adding a current source. The second coil is separated by a distance also made of PEC. Now if I run simulation in this set up, I can see MagJsurf to verify that current from one coil is being coupled to the other.

Now my questions are;

1) Can I introduce a finite conductivity part in the second box, to simulate the output resistance of the second coil?

2) If 1 is a yes, then how do I measure the power absorbed by the load resistance, as a function of frequency? and how do I measure the current through the second coil?

3) How do I measure the mutual coupling between the two coils?

I want to run a frequency sweep to find the power, resistance and other quantities.

Please help me.
Ansoft HFSS - try1 - HFSSDesign1 - 3D Modeler - SOLVED - [try1 - HFSSDesign1 - M_2012-06-12_21-4.png

1) Yes. Assigning a finite conductivity boundary enables u to evaluate the output resistance.
2) You can assign a lumped element at the port of the second coil and observe the current flowing through it. Then the power absorbed by the load resistance can be calculated straightforward. The current through the second coil can be deduced by an integral operation upon the magnetic field around the conductor of the second coil.
3) Mutual coupling is measured by the parameter M12, which can be derived from Z12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back