Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simplest 3V3/1V5 supply for FPGA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are you using for powering a 3V3/1V5 FPGA let´s say from a 12V DC source?

Would like to keep components count as low as possible (so is price ;o) since it is for an evaluation board design...

I know the National simple-switcher products but someone suggested not to use them...

Also rceived TPS70348 samples from TI (combined 3V3/1V5 LDO regulator) but this needs still a 5V regulator upfront...not a bad idea since 5V would be in some cases needed for periphals like PS2 keyboard...

Nice...but not usable for unregulated 12V DC (o;

5V to 3V3/1V5 is no problem with low component count like with the TI chip....

Use a 7805...

Code:
               +-------+
+12V -----+----|1     3|----+--- 5V regulated
          |    |   2   |    |
    100uF =    +-------+    = 10uF
          |        |        |
 GND -----+--------+--------+--- GND

Those are 3-pins. 1 amp comes in a TO-220 package, cheap, popular.

Please no obvious stuff (o;

And not very efficient....

Try ON semiconductors NCP1575 aplication 12V-2.5V demoboard.Here is the PDF:

Please no obvious stuff (o;

And not very efficient....

Well, I know it's obvous... but...

Would like to keep components count as low as possible (so is price ;o) since it is for an evaluation board design

It obvously an easy, low component count design! Well, I didn't saw mentions about efficiency :)

For more efficiency though, you would probably go with some form of switching regulator...

Looks like I´m gonna drop the 12V-5V regulation anyway and just leave it as 5V input-only design...

Otherwise favouring the Nationals simple switcher or ONSemi (ex. Motorola) MC33/34 series switchers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back