Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple transmission line cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

auboy

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm planning to make a simple low voltage transmission line like in picture below

medium-transmission-line.gif

I think the resistor, and capacitor is available but the problem is the inductor, since I never use inductor component before, is it fine to use choke in differential mode to simulate inductor like in picture above?

Because I need 47 mH and the lowest max dc resistance that I could find is in the choke.

R5253704-80.jpg

And one more thing if in the choke said 47 mH but there are four leads, is that means lead 1 and 2 inductance value is 47 mH or I have to connected lead 2 and 3 together like in differential mode and it will be 47 mH?

Cheers,

It's a common mode choke with two separate windings. You can use a single winding or both in parallel to get the nominal inductance. But you should keep in mind that the saturation current in common mode circuit is low.

The reason the inductor has four leads is so it can be mounted on a PCB, only one pair will actually be the inductor.
Frank

It's a common mode choke with two separate windings. You can use a single winding or both in parallel to get the nominal inductance. But you should keep in mind that the saturation current in common mode circuit is low.

but if the description said it's 40mH and there are 2 winding, is taht means one winding each is 40mH or I have to connected both winding in parallel or series that makes 40 mH?

Single winding and two windings in parallel wich achieve about the same inductance (depending on the coupling factor), series connection about fourfold inductance.

What have you you bought?. if its a two winding choke on a common toroid core, then each winding will be about 10 mH, the mutual inductance between them will be 20 mH, so if you connect them the correct way around , you will get 40. If you connect them the wrong way around you will get zero. Or each winding could be 40 mH, giving 160 mH or nothing. Or they could be two isolated 40 mH chokes, which could give you 80 mH (in series ) or 20 (in parallel).
Frank

Are you planning to simulate the low voltage cable in an axact manner? Because when you calculate the capacitance of an low voltage cable you will see that the reactive power generated by the capacitances can be neglected due to low cable lengths. If you planning to see only voltage drops you can neglect capacitances and simulate the inductance as an basic impedance using resistor..

Status
Not open for further replies.