Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple opamp question - input offset voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssankurathri

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple op amp

hi

i tied together the op-amp inputs and connected to ground. The output of op-amp is high.(supplied by rail voltages +5V and 0).

next, the inputs are tied together to +5V. The output is still high.

the op-amp is in comparator mode,i.e, no feedback resistor at all.

could someone please tell how the output is coming high all the time.
i read about common mode stuff, but couldn't figure out proper reason.

regards,
skr

opamp question

You have to expect this., because every opamp comes with an offset voltage. This offset may or may not change sign with change in input common mode voltage. It is completely normal for the opamp to behave this way.

simple opamp

ssankurathri,
The output voltage will be the input offset voltage times the open loop gain of the op-amp. This is usually higher than the output voltage capability of the op-amp.
Regards,
ral

Re: simple opamp question...

there is no difference in the two topologies that u mention
both times the differential voltage at the input is 0V
now because the op-amp has inherent input offset voltage its output will always be high...if it had the opposite mismatches then its output would always be low when feeded with 0V diff voltage at input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back