Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SiC (Silicon Carbide). Is this process technologies future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_penetrator

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

I have recently heard that SiC is good for thermo (you can say pyro here!) resistant substrates. Well i knew that from first semester at Master's. SiC stands to 700-750 Celsius whereas Si bails at (is unusable) at 150-175, in reality nothing works well about 75-120C and for a long time.

Anyway it was said that SiC crystal growth of usable sizes (e.g. 10cm at least) is somewhat in the next 5-6 years. Not very far that is. Some people think of sustaining large integration levels with the SiC stuff.

I have a few questions:

1) Assuming SiC crystals with no defcts will be made available in 10 years for middle-sized companies, how painful will it be to make the shift? New SPICE models, tool modifications, people expertise ASOASL...

2) SiC is for space applications, or for the common cases too? This applies to the level of integration in future ICs.

3) Are there any mature device modeling-circuit simulation tools so i can play with that?

4) Preferably open-source tools?

regards

the_penetrator©

Re: SiC (Silicon Carbide). Is this process technologies futu

Discrete transistors are already in production. They cost more than the previous types. They are used in highly linear microwave power amplifiers.

I suspect that this and the high temperature market are not large enough to fund much research and that they will not displace the present technologies.

It is one of directions

Thanks God. I thought that the SILICON Industry will die by 2010. Now we have some more Time. Lets wait & see how feasible is this SiC. Because if these crystal growth is not feasible from cost point of view then it is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back