Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shutdown timer

nxslt1

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for a timer that I can't find and might not exist. What I need is to shutdown something if it has ran for longer than about 45 seconds. It's a safety to keep it from running for hours on end. Basically, it needs to sense when the equipment has ben turned on whether thru voltage or amp sensing, then start a timer and if it still senses voltage or amperage after the set time then shut down a relay and stay shut down. If the equipment stops running before it times out then it needs to reset the timer and wait for the next cycle. Does this exist?

Hi,

depending on what needs to be shut down ..
* a watchdog circuit could work
* a timer relay

for 45s a simple RC timer is not precise enough.
Ah yes, precision. Are we talking about 45s +/- 1ms or 45s +/-5s?

I´m not sure whether we speak about a 3.3V 10mA DC device or a 10kW, 3 phase 400V AC device. or anything inbetween.

What about giving a bit more informations?

Klaus

I think a simple off-delay relay would work. Apply power to the relay, it energizes for a certain amount of time and then de-energizes. To restart, you’d have remove and re-apply power. Actually, you could use a push button switch to energize the relay, use a NO contact of the relay across the switch to keep power appled to the relay. when the relay de-energizes, the contact across the switch opens, ready for the next cycle.

Agree with barry that an industry standard universal timer relay can implement the function. It comes with a 5 or 10 A rated output contact. Timer is usually triggered by a 24V or 230V input (can be e.g. 10 to 230 V wide range). Current sense would be an additional function, there are 1 to 3 phase load current detectors with adjustable threshold available of the shelve.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: