Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should i use copper pour for gnd or also for power lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seyyah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to copper pour

Should i use copper pour only for gnd or may i use it also for power lines? What should i care? Thanks.

copper pour

Yes, give enough space between copper planes and traces.

copper pour

Copper pour is especially important for GND, since it enables every signal to have a close by return current (minimizing loop area and thereby EMI etc.)

When using copper pour for other signals such as power: in principle this can be done and sometimes this is even advisable, since esp. when taking care that the layer stack is such that e.g. the power plane is closely spaced on top of the power plane, that you'd have distributed capacitance of VDD-GND which may be beneficial in some circumstances. It is also convenient for routing, since you can 'pick off' the power supply at any desired point.

However, there are some things to take into account when using copper pour for power planes: when drawing the boundaries of the power plane, take care that the area doesn't get close to other areas where there may be some unwanted coupling. For instance, prevent a digital VDD plane to come close to a sensitive analog circuit and vice-versa.

In general, I personally like to prevent using power planes. For sensitive circuits I then use star connections. When manually routing the power connections, I am in full control of what parts gets its power how and this lets me think about what would be best in terms of EMI. When using power planes, this would be more 'automatic', with some chances of unforeseen issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back