Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setup and hold time violation

fareeda

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a question related to the setup and hold timing violation. I'm curious why at place optimization stage , there are setup and hold timing violation even though the clock network is ideal?

Thank you

from your question I gather that you do not understand what is meant by an ideal clock.

It means the clock arrives at all flip-flops at the same time, we can say at time t=0. There is no jitter, no skew, no insertion delay. With this information in mind, it is easy to understand how setup can still be violated... and so can hold.

It's a data problem, not a clock problem. Some path(s)
with too many logic stages between clocked FFs. That
is what eats setup time.

It's difficult to get a hold time violation with a common
clock, 'flop delay ought to exceed any front end hold
requirement. If you do have actual hold time violations
that would be "interesting" (more likely with mis-phased
external signals than anything generated intra-clock-
domain).

from your question I gather that you do not understand what is meant by an ideal clock.

It means the clock arrives at all flip-flops at the same time, we can say at time t=0. There is no jitter, no skew, no insertion delay. With this information in mind, it is easy to understand how setup can still be violated... and so can hold.
Can you elaborate more details about this matter? I.m still new in physical design.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back