Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

setting linux and xp on one PC [2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

_SquiD_

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this problem : :!: one of my hard-drives (Western Digital - 80 Gb) has Windows Xp on it ... and the other (Seagate - 250 Gb) has installed CentOS 5.1. When I select from BIOS as primary ... the Seagate ... Grub is loading ... on the list shows both operating systems ... when I select linux it works ... but I try Windows it doesn't work. When I choose from BIOS as primary the WDD hard-drive ... it loads only Windows XP. :!:

Does anybody know how to modify GRUB in order to boot both operating systems ? Thx in advance. :D

The /boot/grub/grub.conf file is created when you install Linux. Here’s an example of that file
for Fedora:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making
# changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,6)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda7
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,6)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora (2.6.20-1.3104.fc7)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.3104.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/123 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.20-1.3104.fc7.img
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

The default=0 line indicates that the first partition in this list (in this case Fedora) will be the
one that is booted by default. The line timeout=10 causes GRUB to pause for 10 seconds before
booting the default partition. (That’s how much time you have to press e if you want to edit the
boot line, or to press arrow keys to select a different operating system to boot.)
The splashimage line looks in the seventh partition on the first disk (hd0,6) for the boot partition
(in this case /dev/sda7, which is the /boot partition). GRUB loads splash.xpm.gz as the
image on the splash screen (/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz). The splash screen appears as the
background of the boot screen.
GRUB indicates disk partitions using the following notation: (hd0,0). The first number
represents the disk, and the second is the partition on that disk. So, (hd0,1) is the second
partition (1) on the first disk (0).

Text is from Linux Bible 2008 Edition

You must modify in this part,the harddisk and the partition you use for Windows:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

To modify this,you must be logged as root.

Best regards!
Venix (from Romania too :D )

http://ifile.it/glwa90h/0470230193.rar link for Linux Bible

use a virtual machine that is better and u can test more than one linux
u can run debian, ubuntu, knoppix, redhat, fedora and windows xp vista 2000 all are in same time

see a tutorial at https://shibuvarkala.blogspot.com for installing virtualbox (a free virtualization tool) in ubuntu linux

makri

Status
Not open for further replies.