Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

series connection of ac sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh401

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what will happen when we connect two AC sources in series ?

U will get an equivalent ac source which can be calculated as follows:
Assume 2 sources with same fundamental frequency: V1cos(wt+θ1) and V2cos(wt+θ2).
In phasor notation: V1Lθ1 and V2Lθ2. [L stands for angle]
Using phasor addition: V1Lθ1 + V2Lθ2 =V3Lθ3 ...........(say)
Let:
X=V1cos(θ1)+V2cos(θ2)
Y=V1sin(θ1)+V2sin(θ2)
V3=√(X²+Y²)
θ3=arctan(Y/X) [arctan means tan inverse function]

Or simply, u can calculate this graphically using vector addition method for adding 2 vectors: V1Lθ1 and V2Lθ2.
For detailed explanation to how this phasor addition is done, refer some good book related to electrical networks.

U will get an equivalent ac source which can be calculated as follows:
Assume 2 sources with same fundamental frequency: V1cos(wt+θ1) and V2cos(wt+θ2).
In phasor notation: V1Lθ1 and V2Lθ2. [L stands for angle]
Using phasor addition: V1Lθ1 + V2Lθ2 =V3Lθ3 ...........(say)
Let:
X=V1cos(θ1)+V2cos(θ2)
Y=V1sin(θ1)+V2sin(θ2)
V3=√(X²+Y²)
θ3=arctan(Y/X) [arctan means tan inverse function]

Or simply, u can calculate this graphically using vector addition method for adding 2 vectors: V1Lθ1 and V2Lθ2.
For detailed explanation to how this phasor addition is done, refer some good book related to electrical networks.

According to theortical basis i understood. But if i connect two 230v AC sources in series. What will happen..?
will any problem occurs ?

But if i connect two 230v AC sources in series. What will happen..?
Depends on the AC sources...
To allow series connection, the sources (or least one of them) most be isolated (not connected to ground like the utility power grid) and have sufficient insulation strength against ground to withstand the voltage sum.

just the phase angle will change , if its have the same ampletud volt .

According to theortical basis i understood. But if i connect two 230v AC sources in series. What will happen..?
No problems, provided you have taken into account the considerations mentioned by FvM. And the result could be 460v AC if the two sources were in phase and nearly zero volts of the two sources were 180 degrees out of phase (I.e. You swapped two of the leads).

Status
Not open for further replies.