Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Serializer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stark43

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I want to send parallel data to my serializer module (by bit shifting) and after serializing the incoming data once, I want it to stop until the other data arrives and not serialize the same data again. If I build a combinotional circuit and do it this way, I guess if my data does not change, it will not re-serialize and this will not work correctly.

Code:
always(data_in)
begin
        // serialization operation
end

For example, I know that if 0x23 data comes in consecutively, it will understand as if the data has not changed, because combinational always blocks are entered when there is a change. What is the suggested solution for this?

Hi,

I guess you need to read about basic of serial data transfer.
We can not know what your requirements are, nor can we replace school.

It´s nothing new.
And there are many solutions (serial interface standards).
Some may fit to your application, some may not.

First of you all you need to read about those topics:
* serializer deserializer basics
* asynchronous transfer (UART, IrDa, RC5...)
* synchronous transfer (SPI, I2C ...)
* Baud rate / data throughput
* DC free for transformer coupled systems (like Ethernet, manchester encoding)
* clock recovery (SERDES)
* frame, frame sync
* and so on..

No need to reinvent the wheel. All is done before. All is well documented.
Use internet search, Wikipedia, youtube....

Then come back with more detailed questions.

Klaus

As for the Verilog coding aspect, sensitivity lists have no effect in synthesized combinational hardware.

A hardware serializer could look like the corrected code in your previous thread https://www.edaboard.com/threads/basic-serializer-verilog.402007/
Comparison for changed data needs a clock and a register to store the previous value, it could be supplemented to the serializer code. Consider that a receiver must be able to synchronize to the serial data frame, respectively there must be an unequivocal frame start criterion, e.g. a start bit or pattern.

As for the Verilog coding aspect, sensitivity lists have no effect in synthesized combinational hardware.

A hardware serializer could look like the corrected code in your previous thread https://www.edaboard.com/threads/basic-serializer-verilog.402007/
Comparison for changed data needs a clock and a register to store the previous value, it could be supplemented to the serializer code. Consider that a receiver must be able to synchronize to the serial data frame, respectively there must be an unequivocal frame start criterion, e.g. a start bit or pattern.
I am using asynchronous FIFO structure. I need to serialize the data I read (1 byte) and for that I thought I should use counter (8 loops). I may not always want to serialize data, or I may want to serialize other data (bundle header, package footer, payload, etc.). I'm considering shifting bits as a basic method for this. I wanted to consult with you on what is the best method for this. I have the line valid and frame valid signals as you said before sending the payload to the serializer module. I think that I need to serialize when my FIFO module sends data rather than initiating serialization when my serializer module detects these signals. I mean, it would be nice if my serializer module could auto-serialize when there is data entry, and stop the serialization process when there is no data entry, I wonder how it is. Otherwise, I will make a valid variable for each incoming data and have it checked.

You need this structure:

incoming parallel data --> Async FIFO --> 8 bit register --> shift out each bit from the register on each clock cycle so that parallel to serial conversion is achieved

When do you read our from the AsyncFIFO? --> Whenever you have ATLEST 8 bits written to it (assumption : FIFO width is 8 bits, depth of the FIFO needs to be decided based on your write clock and read clock values)

So in 1 clk cycle you read out the 8bits from the FIFO and in the next clock cycle these 8 bits are written to the register. Then you need 8 clock cycles more to shift-out these 8 bits one-by-one. Note that until all 8 bits are COMPLETELY shifted, your FIFO should not be read. Continue this cycle until the FIFO is empty. When FIFO is empty, you design should just wait until 8 bits are written again.
Implement this in RTL and your design is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back