Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about serializer and deserializer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Deserializer

Hi,
can anybody explain me the principle on how clock is generated from an incoming serial signal and how synchronization is made between the serializer and the deserializer.

Re: Deserializer

Depends on how you are recieving the signal. If you are just getting a serialized signal that runs off of a external clock (i.e. board level clock) you just read it in and then deserialize it.

However if you are recieving it from say a Rocket IO chip then you have a few more things to worry about.

What specifically is your application?

E

Deserializer

In fact I am designing a serdes in VHDL for ASIC's IPs Interconnect.
The serializer drived by the clock 1 generates the serialised data from a parallel data.
The deserializer utilises the incoming data to generate the clock 2 (independent from the seralizer's one) whch is used to synchronize the circuitry of the deserializer.
I thing that this is clear.

Added after 13 minutes:

@Master_Picengineer
If you are designing transcievers as SERDES, In order to generate the clock you have to send at the beginning a serie of '1' and '0' after that you sent the data. This enable to know the simpling rate of the data.
I am searching for material on this issue.

@ all,
please if anybody have docs upload it.

Regards,
Mouzid

Status
Not open for further replies.