Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial communications with PIC microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

E=MC2

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
im doing a project which requires a PIC microcontroller to communicate with the PC. basically the PIC has to give some data to the PC which should be displayed on a graph. i have some experience with Visual Basic so i am going to use it. i found the following links on another discussion on this board quite useful

http://www.rentron.com/sending_data.htm
http://www.rentron.com/receiving_data.htm

that solves the problem of sending and recieving the data but i want the data to be transferred to Excel which will make the graphs and the tables. how can i do that???

and one thing more. can someone tell me how to do serial communications using hyperterminal? and can i do the required task by using hyperterminal

E=MC2 said:
i want the data to be transferred to Excel which will make the graphs and the tables. how can i do that???

Hello. The Visual Basic able to do this somewhat like database. Please go back to the any basic Visual Basic Book.

If you send data in a comma delimited format, then you can save the hyperterminal to a file and then import into excel, this is a crude way of doing it if you do not want to worry about VB

Thanks
mita

E=MC2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanx for the replies

feitum9898 actually my knowledge of VB is limited to online tutorials so can you plz recommend a good VB book

and mitest i think ill stick with a solution involving VB because i want the whole thing to be an automated process. the user just has to send a command and all the tables and the graphs will be made automatically and saved to an Excel file. actually that might help in impressing my teachers :D

okay i have another question. i know that i can do the serial communications in C++ and Visual C++ but can i save the data to an excel file and display graphs and tables with it (using C++ or Visual C++)

Status
Not open for further replies.