Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Com Port -> DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvanto

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to, using Matlab preferably (but something else like C++ might be good too), to output a digital number (not sure how many bits) to my PC's serial port (or USB if possible?) and then use an digital-to-analogue converter to convert the signal into analogue form.

Its for a small research project.

I have no idea where to even start. I am pretty sure Matlab can output stuff on the coms port but not how to. Also we have a limited budget not millions :D

Advice much appreciated!
gvanto

If your software supports ActiveX controls you can use MSCOMM, Microsoft's controller for the serial port. You will need mscomm32.ocx

You can get it from this URL
**broken link removed**

There is also a good description of the control here.

Next you need to register it. From the Start button and then run, enter
regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx

Registration unfortunately is normally not enough. Access this URL an
follow the directions
**broken link removed**

Once this is done you will be able to access the MSComm control in an
application that uses Active X controls like Excel Word, as well as Visual Basic itself. You may need to add it to the controls within your application.

All this (including a full description on the MSCOMM control) and much more is covered in my book
"Excel by Example : A Microsoft Excel Cookbook for Electronics Engineers"
Published by Elsevier/Newnes, ISBN 0750677562 (you can see the TOC etc. on
Amazon)

Hope this helps

Aubrey Kagan

gvanto

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Kool thanks but I'D like to do this using Dev-Cpp...it doesnt allow ActiveX controls - anyone perhaps know how to communicate with serial port?

thanks for help,
gvanto

MATLAB has a serial port object that you can use to output data to your PC's serial port. You may then use a microcntroller to receive the data and output it to a port to be fed to a DAC like the DAC0808

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.