Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Separation of ADC signal lines and power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markdem

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone.
I have finished my power supply design and have one question.
I will be measuring voltage and current using an ADC. I am a little concerned about putting the ADC chip on the power supply board, but then I think if I put them on the board with all the digital control, I will have to run wires to them, which will run over the power supplies. The supplies are about 100mm away from the digital part of the project. Power supply is DC, and I can route the analog signal wires far away from the AC side of the power supply. The voltages before the ADCs will be about 0-200mV. I don’t need any great accuracy, but I still don’t want it to be too crappy. Will running the analog signal cables over the supplies (Which are only 2A) make too much of a difference?
Do you think I should put the entire ADC circuit on the same board as the power supply or on the digital board and route the cables to make them as short as possible?
I guess I could also first make the analog signals 0-4v (as the will be to use the full range of the ADC) on the power supplies, then move the higher voltage digital board which will have the ADC?
I hope that make sense 
Thanks

markdem,
Of course I should put the ADC as near as possible to the analog circuit that will be converted into digital. Thus, it doesn't mind if digital traces of the ADC are too long till reach the digital board.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back