Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sensor/transducers??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvspr

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sensor can be used as transducer / transducer can be used as sensors: is any of this statement true and if it is what is the reason??
:!::!:

thanks in advance

Transducer is something that converts one form of energy into another, like a temperature sensor particularly thermocouple outputs mv signal in proportion to temperature difference between two junctions, so this sensor is also a transducer. However a motor converts electrical energy into mechanical so this makes it a transducer but not a sensor.

An led can serve as a light detector.

A speaker can serve as a microphone.

I have heard sound from a dynamic mic.

I have a pair of ultrasonic transducers. Either one can be used to send or receive. They are identical.

Some motors can be used as a generator.

A piezo device can vibrate when electricity is applied, or it can generate electricity when vibrated.

Current flow produces a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field can induce current flow.

Seems to have something to do with similarities in the nature of what is sensed. Or transduced(?).

sensor are used to sense some thing ..... may be temperature or light intensity or pressure

transducer converts one form of energy to another form......like microphone

so transducer converts one form when it sense that form.... and senser sense some thing one there is energy in one form

so......both are same

hey thanks for giving reply to my thread guys..
In our discussion we have different answers like both are same and sensor can be a transducer but not vice versa...from this i have another question?

"A sensor is a device that measures a physical quantity and converts it into a signal which can be read by an observer or by an instrument...."
"A transducer is a device that converts one type of energy to another. "....these are the definition found in wiki...

so sensor can sense/measure and convert a quantity and transducer will only convert here my ques is can we say
sensor=transducer+signal conditioning circuit ?????????????????
(ie) sensing and then transduced is this right????????

there is no signal conditioning in the sensor there is seperate transmitter which transmit the signal in standard form.........

like sensor may measure voltage from0mv to10mv transmitter will change the signal through signal conditioning

mm ok thanks Ahmed....

u said both sensor and transducers are same.... but even in our discussion it is said they cannot be same...
can u make it little elaborate with some comparisons or examples :!::!:

a transducer converts an input to an output that can be exploited to accomplish the sensing mission.
that is why i said transducer and sensor are same.

bi-metallic spring element can both detect temperature change, and may well be the entire sensor if a pointer is attached to the bi-metalic spring....... (so sensor is transducer)

An TV antenna is a transducer where electromegnetic energy is transformed and reproduced in to electrical energy. here my is strickly as a transducer but i can use the same antenna to check strenth of radio signal ....(transducer is sensor)

so i will say depends on your application or the way you are using a GADGET..........

Attachments

• thermopile.bmp
    957.8 KB · Views: 59

Is thermocouple a sensor or transducer????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back