Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending ASCII to GLCD and EN toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcha03

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Day!

Just wanna ask about sending ascii on glcd with regards to the enable of the LCD

I observed that GLCD has NO character Generator and I have to create my own character library,
I was playing with a glcd simulation and I found out you can send a vertical line of pixels, for example if I send a 0xFF it would display a small 8bit vertical line.

So to make a letter 'A' (5x7 in size) I need to send:

0xFC, 0x12, 0x11, 0x12, 0xFC, 0x00

My questions is:

1. Do I have to toggle the EN every time I display a line?

Like this: 0xFC, EN, 0x12, EN, 0x11, EN, 0x12, EN, 0xFC, EN, 0x00, EN,

2. Or leave it as is? But how I gonna display the entire ASCII?
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Good Day!

Just wanna ask about sending ascii on glcd with regards to the enable of the LCD

I observed that GLCD has NO character Generator and I have to create my own character library,
I was playing with a glcd simulation and I found out you can send a vertical line of pixels, for example if I send a 0xFF it would display a small 8bit vertical line.

So to make a letter 'A' (5x7 in size) I need to send:

0xFC, 0x12, 0x11, 0x12, 0xFC, 0x00

My questions is:

1. Do I have to toggle the EN every time I display a line?

Like this: 0xFC, EN, 0x12, EN, 0x11, EN, 0x12, EN, 0xFC, EN, 0x00, EN,

2. Or leave it as is? But how I gonna display the entire ASCII?
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi,

You are still thinking in LCD HD44780 terms, Glcds have a different way as you are discovering.

You do not mention what micro or display / controller you are using, though the principle is generally similar.

How attached a couple of project notes and some asembler code which, even if you use another language should give you the baisc idea of how to send out text, fonts and bitmap images.
( there is an error on the circuit diagram shown, delete reference to 74AC08 and add 74HC4050 with its pinout )

Attachments

• Glcd.rar
    776.6 KB · Views: 74

Hello,

Thank for the files you sent, I saw on the file you attached the LCD is uses an SPI interface. I'm using Zilog ang PIC MCU'S the lcd controller i'm trying to interface is KS0180, the interface is almost the same as the HD44780, right now I'm trying to make my ASCII lookup table, since that glcd controller has no cgrom I just observed on the glcd simulation i used is that I need to toggle the EN line every time i need to send the bitmap of an ASCII character... I'm wondering if I still need to include the EN line on the font data... Thanks...

Hello,

Thank for the files you sent, I saw on the file you attached the LCD is uses an SPI interface. I'm using Zilog ang PIC MCU'S the lcd controller i'm trying to interface is KS0180, the interface is almost the same as the HD44780, right now I'm trying to make my ASCII lookup table, since that glcd controller has no cgrom I just observed on the glcd simulation i used is that I need to toggle the EN line every time i need to send the bitmap of an ASCII character... I'm wondering if I still need to include the EN line on the font data... Thanks...

Hi,

That glcd is a very old type, but still very popular due to the amount of projects / software around for it.
A search in the forum should give you a lot of info, though not sure you will find much with the Zilog - the old z80a if I remember ? or do they now do some modern micro ?

The catch with that glcd is it uses a parallel databus v the modern spi type and importantly it uses two internal controllers, one for each half of the screen, so it a real pain to use, unless you have a ready made C module to hand.

Cannot remember what we did with the enable line but if you see our working code / demo it should hopefully answer you question.

Attachments

• ks0108.rar
    23.2 KB · Views: 52

Status
Not open for further replies.