Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending and receiving data with USB using ActiveX control

Status
Not open for further replies.

asic1984

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
serial port vs usb?

hi

i am doing a project of controlling a robot with wirelss transciever which is connected to the pc ....on com port , and as my project is time senitive
i am thinking by replacing the trasceiver by one which is connected to usb

i know how to deal with com port easly by the Activex control

but how can i send and receive data with the usb .........is there an Activex control to do that .......or an easy way to write a dll (or driver) file that do same job....knowing that i am using c# as a programming language

thanks for help

Re: serial port vs usb?

My advice is: stay with COM port. USB is not that easy to handle. You can follow some posts on this fourum on conecting microcontrollers through USB port, and you will see what kind of issues are involved in this operation.

If the speed on COM port can reach 115kbs and more this, I think, should be enough to control a robot.

I think working with usb is simple with chips from FTDI and Silabs.
They also provide drivers for windows and FTDI also give many sample codes.Interfaces in microcontroller side also does not need USB knowledge.It is like serial port (UART) or FIFO memory!

The USB port can also provide 5V supply for your circuit!

I recommend you USB,motherboards go to delete com ports and laptop computers does not have serial port(many)

Regards
7rots51

Hi,

You'll need to write a DLL and usb driver to interface to the transcever. Most likely the transceiver will come with a driver for your program to interface with if it's for usb interface. Then the only part for you is to write the dll or a Activex.
If you're new to USB and project time is critical, then stay onto serial interface. As for USB, you need to decide the type of transfer for your project requirement. Unless the driver is provide for your requirement of transfer, it'll then be a easy task for you.

Regards,
Tom

serial port vs usb?

hi
see my easy USB solution

VB + activeX component + hex for simple 16C745 I/O
no driver required (uses windoze built-in HID class)
:D

You can buy a set of development kit with USB and Microcontroller($100 or so). There are sample codes of PC (in VC++ or VB) and microcontroller (in C). I think the codes is enough to deal with the communication between PC and robot.

serial port vs usb?

PIC only have low and full speed version uC. What if i want at high speed conversion? Let say sampling high frequency Analog signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back