Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

selecting a power amplifier

khungbopro

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question about selecting a power amplifier.
Modulated signal is QAM-16, PAPR ~3dB
I want to 40dBm output power. Can I use power amplifier rated 40 dBm peak power or 43 dBm peak power.
Thanks

It depends from you specs. If you need 40dBm mean power the amplifier will have to manage the peak power up to 43dBm (according to PAPR). If, instead, your requirement is 40dBm PEP power the PAPR is already taken into account, then an amplifier rated at 40dBm could be OK. In any case, since probably you mean 40dBm or 43dBm amplifier at P1dB, you have to check that the 1dB compression do not affect too much the BER performance you have to be compliant with.

Usually the RF systems specs for transmitters do not refer to peak power, but the PA specs does.
So I think is better to use a 43dBm peak power PA..

If you intend to use QAM Modulation, you should choose a pretty Linear Power Amplifier.
Terrestial Broadcasting Power Amplifiers-if you are working in those frequencies- might be an appropriate choice.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back