Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Screen for spectrum analyser

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIG

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
I am actually trying to design a spectrum analyser,
is anybody knows if it s possible to use a computer sreen (insted of an oscilloscope) to sweep the Power vs frequency?

I am finishing to build the spectrum analyzer from Matiaz Vidmar
( Link at : **broken link removed** ), but I use a Oscilloscope display.

I have made some trials with the display shown in this page:

- https://www.qsl.net/pa3ckr/xydisplay/index.html

If you have some ideas let me know.

Mandi

Anything is possible, but you will have to do a *lot* of work for this. An oscilloscope-type display is a vector display (X-Y), whereas any computer or TV monitor is a raster display (lines of dots).

Driving an X-Y display for this application is quite easy, just using analogue techniques. Driving a raster would require that you digitise the information, form a full-frame image in memory, then send this in the appropriate format to the monitor. Much more difficult.

Personally, if you really want a monitor display, I would digitise the frequency versus power sweep and pipe it into a PC using USB (or a fast digital input card). Then you can write code to display it nicely.

An alternative - look for a large X-Y display screen, often seen on eBay and quite cheap. These are essentially a bare-bones oscilloscope with just basic defelection circuits. This will give you a much bigger screen than an oscilloscope and you could probably build the SA cicuitry into the display box.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

h t t p ://www.elektroda.pl/eboard/searchtopic59271-.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back