Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sampling requirements for SysID

Status
Not open for further replies.

exp

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Suppose I have an analog filter operating at 5kHz which I want to identify. Usually, the analog filter is now approximated as FIR filter with M taps and the output signal sampled at >10kHz to obtain y[n] (suppose the input to the analog filter is already available as x[n]).

The action of the system can not be described as \[\mathbf{y} = \mathbf{X}\mathbf{c}\] where the matrix \[\mathbf{X}\] contains the the tap input vectors of x[n]. Without using LMS, the coefficients could be found by

\[\mathbf{c} = (\mathbf{X}^H \mathbf{X})^{-1} \mathbf{X}^H \cdot \mathbf{y}\]

This system is heavily underdetermined and finds a solution as long as there are M linearly independend rows. However, using fewer rows (e.g. every 2nd row) would correspond to undersamlping the output signal which contradicts my intuition.

Is there a definite sampling requirement for system identification? If yes, why do I still get the correct coefficients when taking e.g. only each 4th row?

I know that the input signal must have "persistent excitation", i.e., it must contain all 5kHz components in the example above. But I can't find anything about the definite sampling requirement of the output signal ...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.