Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S12 and S21 are the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskim_urtigas

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have a simple questions about the S-parameters S12 and S21.

I have two antennas connected to the VNA. If the S12 and S21 are exactly the same. I want to know how the antennas react to each other. I dont understand what it means. There's a picture attached. I don't understand waht happens with s12 and s21 at 4.4 GHz.

Help?

Thank you.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 221

It means that the two antennas transfer energy both directions the same amount.

Hi everyone,

I have a simple questions about the S-parameters S12 and S21.

I have two antennas connected to the VNA. If the S12 and S21 are exactly the same. I want to know how the antennas react to each other. I dont understand what it means. There's a picture attached. I don't understand waht happens with s12 and s21 at 4.4 GHz.

Help?

Thank you.

Check out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(electromagnetism)

Basically the power transfered from antenna A to antenna B is the same as from antenna B to antenna A.

That will almost always be the case for antenna, although it will not necessarily be so if there are non-linear devices like ferrites and you use enough power to saturate them.

Devices such as amplifiers will not have S12 and S21 the same.

When 2 antennas are connected to a VNA, S12 and S21 is the isolation between the antennas while S11 is the RL of Ant 1 and S22 is the RL of Ant 2.

If both antennas are the same, then I doubt the calibration of the VNA at port 2. Have you done the through calibration ?

When 2 antennas are connected to a VNA, S12 and S21 is the isolation between the antennas while S11 is the RL of Ant 1 and S22 is the RL of Ant 2.

If both antennas are the same, then I doubt the calibration of the VNA at port 2. Have you done the through calibration ?

Why would you suspect the calibration of the VNA if S12 = S21 ? That is what he said happens, and that is what I would expect.

Irrespective of whether antenna A and antenna B are the same or not, one would expect S12 and S21 to be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back