Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S-parameters simulation results' difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

pYrana13

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I made a circuit with LC tank resonator as shown below without any microstrips element and the result of S-parameter shows a resonant amplitude at 1GHz ( f_res = 1/2*pi*sqrt(LC) ). When I integrate microstrip lines into the schematic, the S-parameter result now shows an attenuation at the resonant frequency of 1 GHz. (Using LineCalc of ADS, i got line width of 1.1186mm for Z0 = 50 Ohm at 1GHz. )

Where did I do wrong here?

Attachments

• Without_Microstrip_Schematic.jpg
    Without_Microstrip_Schematic.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Without_Microstrip_S-Parameter.jpg
    Without_Microstrip_S-Parameter.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 124
  • With_Microstrip_Schematic.jpg
    With_Microstrip_Schematic.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 143
  • With_Microstrip_S-Parameter.jpg
    With_Microstrip_S-Parameter.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

You haven't done anything 'wrong'. Adding layout parasitics will always alter the performace of a circuit unless lengths are zero, which gets you back to the ideal circuit with no layout. With this substrate 20mm of interconnect around any trace will be equivalent to over 30degrees of phase shift. You need to design the circuit to work with these distributed transmission line effects, maybe tuning and opinizing the lengths of the transmission line to get the performance back to what you require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back