Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rotating electric contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

joy123

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello ,

currently i am working in a project where i have to use a motor to spin a metal jig and in some stage of spinning i have to transfer 5v dc through the metal jig for a chemical reaction. my wire which will pass 5v dc will spine and will wear out . is there any special wire or contact we can use to avoid twisting? any suggestion?

thanks

They are called "slip rings." If your current needs aren't too great, you might use the commutator of a DC motor. Commercial assemblies are available, but are probably expensive. For example, they are needed for electrically controlled pitch in wind generators (**broken link removed** ).

Can you say a little more about the chemistry involved. I have done a fair bit of electrochemistry and may be able to suggest an alternative arrangement.

John

Last edited:

hello ,

currently i am working in a project where i have to use a motor to spin a metal jig and in some stage of spinning i have to transfer 5v dc through the metal jig for a chemical reaction. my wire which will pass 5v dc will spine and will wear out . is there any special wire or contact we can use to avoid twisting? any suggestion?

thanks

I am not much aware about it but i know expert they can help you visit **broken link removed**

ask them question motor and you will have answer.

They are called "slip rings." If your current needs aren't too great, you might use the commutator of a DC motor. Commercial assemblies are available, but are probably expensive. For example, they are needed for electrically controlled pitch in wind generators (**broken link removed** ).

Can you say a little more about the chemistry involved. I have done a fair bit of electrochemistry and may be able to suggest an alternative arrangement.

John

hi john,

thanks for replay, i am working on a electropolishing center for medical equipment. i have a anode which hold all the parts and go into EP solution bath. anode is clamp free. i hope you familier with ep process. when i put my anode into the EP SOLUTION, i have to turn on 5v dc (ripple free) for 5/8 second into the anode while it is spinning. does it makes any sense to you?

maintaing the quality of 5v dc(ripple free) is very important to get a stable result. is it possible to get a slip ring which dont effect the quality of DC?
thanks
joy

Last edited:

Most plating processes with which I am familiar have fixed electrodes and agitate the solution. I suspect EP is similar. Why not vigorously stir the EP solution and have a fixed anode?

As for slip rings, I don't know quantitatively how much electrical noise they produce, but I suspect the rubbing contacts must produce some. The ones that use mercury are said to be very low noise (Slip ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). A web search for "mercury slip rings" will yield many vendors.

John

HI John,

It's not the ep solution I need to stir, it's the anode I need to rotate in uniform circular motion to keep all the parts touching the anode in a way that's suits our quality requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.