Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF power level calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc123

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to re-calibrate my RF power meter, since the power meter resolution is 0.01dBm what kind of signal generator should I use ? most of the signal generator has output accuracy +-1dB or +-0.5dB only. and step attenuators also is in the +-1dB to +-0.5 dB accuracy range. did factory really calibrate the power meter with signal source of +-0.01dB accuracy before they ship the product out?

abc123,

Power meters "typically" have better accuracy as compared to signal generators. Many power meters have a test port that creates 50MHz @ 0dBm. What frequencies are you working at? Can you verify your signal generator with an O'Scope and then apply the signal to your power meter?

ge said:
abc123,

Power meters "typically" have better accuracy as compared to signal generators. Many power meters have a test port that creates 50MHz @ 0dBm. What frequencies are you working at? Can you verify your signal generator with an O'Scope and then apply the signal to your power meter?

This is a chicken and egg problem, my RF power meter has the test port that creates 50MHz @ 0dBm reference, it can be used to re-calibrate the 0dBM point of the level for my power meter. but for other signal levels such as -25dBm, -45dBm,.. I need to use a step attenuator to attenuate the 0dBm reference signal to the level I want then use it to re-calibrate my meter at that specific signal level, or I can use a signal generator with accurate output level to re-calibrate the meter. the problem is the step attenuators or signal generators all has the output accuracy of +-1dB to +-0.5dB
how do I use it to re-calibrate my power meter@0.01dB level? the factory must have some way to do it!

the scope has the worst accuracy of signal level measurement.

Hi,
A test labor has to have calibrated sources, & their are regularly to control/recalibrate by acredited firms/labs...
Maybe you should buy so an "etalon"_valuable item.
I think you can try some calibration with DC/thermal powers too_thermistor/bolometry as detector...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back