Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reverse polarity protection circuit for negative voltage sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopintj

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Thirukalukalukundra, Kanchipuram, Tamilnadu, India
Activity points
Dear members,

Please recommend me a simple MOSFET circuit or useful links to protect my load from reverse polarity inputs voltages.

My Supply voltage : -12V/-5V.
Supply current : 2.5A.

Load to my circuit is an Op-amp (consumes around 100mA of current, but I need a circuit of around 2.5A for future designs).

Note: Previously, I designed a reverse polarity protection circuit using a P-MOSFET to protect my load from positive voltage sources and it works fine. Here is the schematic.

Thanks in advance.
- N Gopi.

Attachments

• ReversePolarityProtection.jpg
    ReversePolarityProtection.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 153

So what's wrong with using the P-MOSFET?

The input supply voltage of the above circuit is +5V. When I interchange the ground and Vcc lines in P16, the P-MOSFET will not be biased and the circuit becomes open.

My current requirement is, to do the same setup (The circuit should be open) by using -5V as my voltage source. Will this circuit work when I use a -5V instead of +5V in P16 ? I hope it will not. Please provide me any suggestions.

Regards,
-N Gopi

Okay. Sorry I missed the fact that it was a negative voltage.
In that case just substitute an N-MOSFET of at least a 10A rating for the P-MOSFET (again with the MOSFET source terminal connected to the input negative voltage source).
For a -5V source, the N-MOSFET must be a logic-level type (fully turns on with a Vgs of 5V).

Also...................reverse the polarity of all the diodes in the circuit.

What is the purpose of the diodes in the circuit?
I don't see that they are needed for a maximum supply of 12V.

Okay. Sorry I missed the fact that it was a negative voltage.
In that case just substitute an N-MOSFET of at least a 10A rating for the P-MOSFET (again with the MOSFET source terminal connected to the input negative voltage source).
For a -5V source, the N-MOSFET must be a logic-level type (fully turns on with a Vgs of 5V).

Dear Mr Crutschow,

I tried as per your suggestion and got -12V on the DRAIN side by providing the SOURCE with -12V and connecting the GATE to ground through 56K resistor. As my ultimate aim is to open the circuit when the power is applied in reverse direction, I conducted it and got the below result.

As I connect the SOURCE to ground and GATE to -12V, I am able to get only of around 0.57V on the DRAIN. But when I measure the voltage between -12V (of SMPS) with respect to DRAIN (currently it is 0.57V), I can able to measure upto -12 volts. This represents the N-MOSFET is conducting the current when I reverse the boards supply voltage. So, I believe the circuit requires some additional changes to acquire my requirement.

Note:
1. I am currently using -12V as my input source, as I didn't receive my -5V SMPS yet.
2. For testing purpose, I am currently using a voltage source, a N-MOSFET, a 56K pull down resistor to GATE and a 256 ohms / 9W resistor as load between DRAIN and ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.