Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Required: HP 54600B Oscilloscope circuit diagram...

Status
Not open for further replies.

omelette

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. Channel 1 inexplicably stopped working on this 'scope - in use for hours, working perfectly, turned off & switched on the following day, no channel 1!

Channel 2 still work fine in all respects when connected to the test-waveform, whereas channel 1 displays either a flat trace, or a blank screen as if voltage is off-scale (depends on voltage setting selected). I also notice that I can't adjust the trace's base-position on screen - the trace does not follow the 'GND' symbol when it is moved up/down, it's vertical position on screen remaining the same.

I have had it apart and although both channels have identical circuitry, the voltages on I.C pins on the faulty channel are all over the place - for instance, one SMD AT&T chip (UB1202AM) has almost -12V on several pins whereas the working channel's chip voltages are mere fractions of a volt! Despite this, these chip temperatures are within a degree Celsius of one another, so no apparent overheating. Finally, a continuity-check on what appear to be supply decoupling capacitors on the other side of the PCB but directly under this chip buzz through as being almost shorts. I have even removed the I.C. to see if it was the culprit - it wasn't!

Seeing as this PCB has at least 3-layers, without a circuit diagram, this is an exercise in futility! Worse, I have failed to even find a pin-out of the chip I mentioned, which most list as "obsolete stock", let alone a complete circuit diagram. I have found HP's "User & Service manual" which is a bit of a joke as there's no circuit diagram and the cure for every system-board fault listed is to replace the system-board!!!

Excuse the long-winded post, but can anyone either provide me with a circuit diagram for this scope or else suggest a possible cause of the problem. Thanks.

This is the User Guide & Service Manual I mentioned I had already found. Repair-tips along the lines of "if the power supply isn't working, replace the power supply..." makes this 'repair information' essentially worthless...

A circuit diagram of some kind - even a block-diagram - is needed here...

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, things aren't going according to plan - I just killed my one working channel, junked the scope basically!

Working almost completely in the dark, I figured from voltages reading etc. that the little 8-pin I.C. pictured below was a voltage regulator of some kind - again, another part number that just laughs at Google's attempts to provide any info about it - so had the not-so-bright idea of interchanging the working channel's for the non-working one and vice-versa - bad move 'cos then neither channel worked and switching them back didn't restore it either...

I have quickly grown to detest HP scopes. Great to use, great to fault-find with but seemingly no info at all is available to help fault-find problems with the scopes themselves and it seems that are filled with obscure components that you can neither find information on or/and are impossible to source...

I included the pic. below just in case anyone could tell me what the little 8-pin does, or by some miracle, order from somewhere! The UB1202AM is also pictured. Despite spending hours searching the net, I could not even find a description of what it does...

A new(ish) scope is needed methinks and it sure as hell won't be a HP.............
**broken link removed**

Hi,

The 8 pin IC is a LT1097 from Linear Technology,
a precision Op Amp.

The AT&T don´t know...

But to repair this oscilloscope,you must have the schematics,
you have no alternative...

I have a lot of SM from HP (Agilent) but this one,no.

Good luck...
SDumas

Wow, I've been thrown a bone, thanks for that!!! Now at least I've got something to go on and I should be able to check if these op-amps are the problem. I can also order them if necessary, which is great too! :)

Things are looking up a bit as well. I spent and hour or so on it again today and Channel 2 has some life in it after all. When it's left on for a while, it detects the signal, slowly 'drifting' up and down. Certainly not ideal but it's actually usable! I may just close it up and make do with it as it is.

I'm more and more convinced that it's just a missing voltage supply. But you're absolutely right, without a schematic, it's pretty hopeless - and HP seems to have those locked down pretty solidly...

Still, hope springs eternal as they say! Thanks again.

Last edited:

Just a little update which may be of interest to some. The genesis of the fault appears to have been a 100nF decoupling capacitor that 'kinda' went short. 'Kinda' 'cos although I removed it from circuit, checked the resistance across it, which was about 100 Ohms, and a capacitance test showed it as out-of-range, so I thought "Sorted!" - until the next day when I by chance measured the resistance across it again, this time it was about 400 ohms! Examining the side that had been towards the PCB, I noticed reddish stuff on it - a close examination of the board revealed that only a very few capacitors had this, only those that had copper tracks running between their legs, so it's purpose was apparently to provide electrical isolation. For whatever reason, it had become a conductor 'cos scraping it off resulted in a perfect 100nF capacitor!!! Never came across that before...

But that was just the root cause. This short had killed one of the LT1097 amps & I damaged the other from the 'working' channel when I swapped the op-amps before discovering the short. So I bought 2 LT1097's online, soldered them in, result; my 'still working' channel now works perfectly again, all the negative voltages that were present in the faulty channel circuit were gone, adjusting the trace-position control resulted in a perfect varying biasing voltage being present, I had a trace on some voltage settings which showed a minuscule test-waveform on-screen , but still no control over its positioning.

Well several more hours later, I've discovered the problem - the faulty channel's UB1202AM was also damaged, removed from the PCB, 2 adjacent pins measure a virtual short when compared with the still-working one.

So I need to source these somehow. I have found one Chinese supplier that sells them for a very reasonable $10 each, but requires a minimum order of 5 i.c's. Plus courier fees no doubt will see it approach $100 - and I only need one of them! Cheaper than a new scope though - presuming there's nothing else fried! - and though I'm reluctant to go this route, I may not have another alternative.

Hi omelette,

look carefully at this schematic,page 3,i think the UB1202AM is not what you
are to buy (sorry for my english...).

I have compared the IC PA300 (???) U2 and i think is the same as UB1202AM.

I make a google search of UB1202AM and they tell this is a RS232 IC (???).

Look the circuit of both and compare...

Good luck

SDumas

Edit:
Complete Component Level Information Package here:
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• 4 of 11 Vertical system.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Hi sdumas. I don't believe it, a proper schematic, board-layout and all - I had long since given up any hope of finding this!!!:shock: Thank you ever so much! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Regarding the UB1202AM, pin-out wise, the schematic seems identical to the actual circuit-board layout, I think the "PA300" label was an internal HP reference - so unless I'm missing something here, I'm pretty sure that it's UB1202AM's I still need to get. I saw the RS232 description you mentioned - these jokers seem to be just copying & pasting random stuff into the i.c. information fields in many cases! I pulled up a few other chips they had as well and like the RS232 rubbish, you get descriptions starting mid-sentence, with info probably having nothing to do with the device in question. This is definitely the case with the UB1202AM's anyway - it's so nice to actually know what its function is now! :D

So, at the moment I'm waiting to hear back from at least one other company that sells UB1202AM's. Hopefully I won't have to order multiple chips that I'll never use. Worse case scenario, I get them & try selling the unwanted ones on eBay. Either way, I'll post an update here.

Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back