Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay getting stucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky001.iith

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,I am controlling a very high load(Air condition type) using a realy switch.But Relay get stuck after continuous operating(ON/OFF) of the switch.
Possible reason:- As high load gets ON.It takes surge current almost 6-7 times of its normal rating.Like a 6A AC takes 60 Amp surge current at Switching ON stage and Relay gets stuck due to high surge current.
I tried to connect NTC in series with load to control the effect of the surge current.I used NTC-2.5D15 which is having current capacity of 9Amps.Relay which i am using is HF46F.
Possible solutions to avoid Relay stuck??

Hello Everyone,I am controlling a very high load(Air condition type) using a realy switch.But Relay get stuck after continuous operating(ON/OFF) of the switch.
Possible reason:- As high load gets ON.It takes surge current almost 6-7 times of its normal rating.Like a 6A AC takes 60 Amp surge current at Switching ON stage and Relay gets stuck due to high surge current.
I tried to connect NTC in series with load to control the effect of the surge current.I used NTC-2.5D15 which is having current capacity of 9Amps.Relay which i am using is HF46F.
Possible solutions to avoid Relay stuck??

Hi
You must change your relay with a better one ( which can handle more instantaneous current )
BTW for this application triacs can be used too but of course you must take care of snubber for em .

Best Luck
Goldsmith

The Relay contacts should be rated for the HP motor used.
Motor currents reduce the contact current ratings compared to resistive loads.
If you cannot find , check with OMRON specs.

First you must clean the relay contacts, then make sure that they are not damaged by over voltage when they open. If they are then the current only flows through a small area, leading to overheating and welding when they next close.
Frank

You can use the relay SLA-12VDC-SL-C.

NO contact : 2HP 240VAC (1HP 120v)
NC contact : 1/2HP 240VAC (0.25HP 120VAC)

Datasheet link: **broken link removed**

See the picture below.

Reactions: vicky001.iith

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

vicky001.iith

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor