Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading register bits - help

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using this device, and this is the errata document.

I was to disable Auto-MDIX.
Hence, I went to this register, page 127, section 5.2.2.20 PHY Auto MDI / MDI-X Register.

When I went to understand, how to write to this register, I found on page 65 of the datasheet. "For multi-byte registers, the data is addressed in a big-endian format, with the most significant byte at the lowestaddress, and the least significant byte at the highest address,"

Also, with reference to the errata document point 6, I need to write this register as 32bit along with the 5.2.2.21. register PHY Control Register.

Upon default configuration start-up, I got these values for the 5.2.2.20 & 5.2.2.21 REGISTERs - 0x2400 0000.
While I tried to decode the above register values for each bit by big endian format as they mention. But when I do so, it seems that "RESERVED" bits are having some value. But RESERVED Bits should not have any value right? Hence, I assume, I am reading it incorrectly. Please clarify.

I am not able to understand how this value is coming?

Can someone help me to understand the default registers value that I obtained above? And with the same thing, I just want to disable MDIX. Hence, what should be the change I need to do?

Last edited:
But RESERVED Bits should not have any value right?
a bit is a digital information with two states: HIGH /LOW or ON/OFF or 1/0.
--> there is no "No value". It still will be 1/0 .. but the value may have no meaning.

And: the datasheet even tells you the "default" state of these bits.

Also, with reference to the errata document point 6, I need to write this register as 32bit along with the 5.2.2.21. register PHY Control Register.
But the document says:
"Certain PHY registers must be written as pairs instead of singly".
This means a pair of 16 bits, but not a single 32 bit.

You buy a pair of shoes, and not a single "item" of two shoes glued together.

So to be able to help you ..
* we need to see your code
* we need to know your expectation

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back