Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reactance of a capacitor & inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh401

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The reactance of a capacitor is indicated sometimes as Xc=1/j2pifc and sometimes as Xc=1/2pifc.
So what is the reason for this, which notation we have to follow during calculations.
and what is the difference between these two....?

The complex "j" operator implies that there is a phase-shift associated with the component (i.e., current and voltage in the device are out of phase). If you are just trying to calculate the resistive part of the complex impedance, you don't need the "j".

"as Xc=1/j2pifc and sometimes as Xc=1/2pifc." I have never seen it written this way before (even if its numerically correct) its written as :- -j 1/2PIfc, likewise the reactance of an inductor is +j 2PIfl. this is so during a calculation the + and - js can be subtracted or added leaving a single answer of + J.... or -j....
Frank

I have never seen it written this way before (even if its numerically correct) its written as :- -j 1/2PIfc,

Surprisingly - I have seen it written this way very often:

Xc=1/sC with s=jw=j*2Pi*f we get:

Xc=1/(jwC)=1/(j*2Pi*f*C).

Of course, now you can insert the identity j=-1/j .

The debatable point is wheter the formula sign Xc designates the imaginary impedance or a scalar value (measured in ohm).

At least some text books are using it in the latter meaning, e.g.

Code:
Z = R + jXL - jXc

Status
Not open for further replies.