Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

raltionship between frequency reponse and poles, zeros ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoujunjx

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am confused. what is raltionship between the circuit frequency reponse and the poles and zeros of circuit?
who can give me some accurate defination or reference. Thanks!!! 8O

Re: raltionship between frequency reponse and poles, zeros ?

zoujunjx said:
I am confused. what is raltionship between the circuit frequency reponse and the poles and zeros of circuit?
who can give me some accurate defination or reference. Thanks!!! 8O

...with the poles and zeros you easily reconstruct the transfer function, so you may obtain the frequency response (with the aid of matcrap, of course... :) )

I think you must study Bode diagram or plot. Search web about it. Here are some links:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
After you plot some transfer functions for example low pass filter, high pass filter or band stop filter (try first order filters first) you will get an idea what meaning have zeroes and poles of transfer function for frequency response. Speaking generally zeroes causes rising slope of frequency response curve and poles causes falling slope. This is valid for magnitude response. Phase response is another aspect of transfer functions in Bode diagram.

any first order pole give your freq response slope -20db/dec and any first order zero +20db/dec

Read some basic system books. They gives explanations for the relationship between the frequency response and the poles and zeros.

One such book is
Modern Control Systems
Richard C. Dorf and Robert H. Bishop
Prentice Hall, 9th Edition

Take and circuit , calculate its Transfer function T(s)
The frequency values at which the Numerator is zero are the transmission zeros of the circuit

The frequency values at which the Denominator is zero are the transmission Poles of the circuit.

Poles and Zeros define how the circuit will operate at different frequencies.

First,let me telll the reference that can help you......As this is an important concept in network theory and control systems,control systems by NAGRATH and KOTHARI may be useful or Network Analysis and Synthesis by KUO may serve the purpose.

Poles and Zeroes are those points that explains the output change..........For example a steady state curve may have a drastic change in its value and when its value appraoches infinity those points are poles and zeroes otherwise.
Hope this helps

Regards
drdolittle

:)

DrDolittle said:
First,let me telll the reference that can help you......As this is an important concept in network theory and control systems,control systems by NAGRATH and KOTHARI may be useful or Network Analysis and Synthesis by KUO may serve the purpose.

Poles and Zeroes are those points that explains the output change..........For example a steady state curve may have a drastic change in its value and when its value appraoches infinity those points are poles and zeroes otherwise.
Hope this helps

Regards
drdolittle

:)

i think the book is from IJ Nagrath and M. Gopal (not kothari)
and it is not yet posted on board..so sad.. :(
c ya

poles and zeros give rise to the transfer function which is nothing but the frequency response

when descriping filter in frequency domain it is like this

H(f)=1/sqrt(1+sqr(wcr))
solving for w will give the poles of this transfer function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back