Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions on "Switching Power Supplies A-Z, 2E"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEngine

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am now reading the book "Switching Power Supplies A-Z, 2E" written by Sanjaya Maniktala and there are some sentences that I cannot understand well. (Coz my native language is not English!)

The first sentence is:

A little later, we will construct proper dual circuits. But for now we may have already started to suspect that we really don't understand inductors as well as we thought, nor in fact the duality principle we were perhaps counting on to do so.

According to the grammar, I know the first thing "we may have already started to suspect" is that "we really don't understand inductors as well as we thought", what about the second? What does the sentence after the conjunction "nor" mean? Does it mean that we started to suspect the duality principle? I want to know the exact meaning of the sentence.

The second sentence is:

If a nervous interviewee hazards the guess that the current in the inductor simply "goes to zero immediately" on opening the switch, a gentle reminder of what we all learnt in high school is probably due.

What does "a gentle reminder of what we all learnt in high school is probably due" mean?

What does the sentence after the conjunction "nor" mean? Does it mean that we started to suspect the duality principle? I want to know the exact meaning of the sentence.

It relates to the verb understand. Meaning:
... nor we [actually] understand the duality principle ...

What does "a gentle reminder of what we all learnt in high school is probably due" mean?

in other words:
it would be nice to think of what we all learnt in high school
namely,
a current through an inductor cannot simply "go to zero immediately"

I'm not a native English speaker, too, so perhaps such a person would find a better explanation.

As native English speaker and ex-editor of an award winning English magazine, I would sum both sentences up as:

"as you have realized, our understanding of inductors is not good and we should study their theory again"

It is an example of "diminutive examples of linguistic explanation frequently convey sufficient information" when someone meant "use short words". :)

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back