Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on TCAD example

Status
Not open for further replies.

prescott2006

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to create a NMOS using Silvaco and alter some parameters to see the changes in I-V characteristic, so I open the mos1ex01 to edit, but I found that there is a line "init orientation=100 c.phos=1e14 space.mul=2", I am curious why the initial substrate is doped by phosphorus, isn't it should be doped by boron or other column-III elements? :?

initial substrate (as well as silicon in general) can be doped with acceptors or donors, so there is no contradiction here in this example...

initial substrate (as well as silicon in general) can be doped with acceptors or donors, so there is no contradiction here in this example...

For a NMOS, isn't the substrate should be p-type? But if we dope with donors, it will become n-type right? I am so confused.:?

... there is no contradiction here in this example...
I understand an NMOS needs a P-bulk. However, 1e14 is a rather low value for a MOSFET bulk doping concentration, so may be this info actually concerns the base material doping concentration of an N-substrate double or triple well process, where NMOSFETs are built into a P-well. MOSFET bulk doping concentrations (here: the P-well concentration for the NMOS) to be found in literature are more in the order of 4e15 .. 3e17/cm³ (the latter value found for a 130nm process).

Last edited:

For a NMOS, isn't the substrate should be p-type? But if we dope with donors, it will become n-type right? I am so confused.:?

Yes, the NMOS need a p-type substrate/body, and the initial substrate is n-type.

But in the example (mos01ex01), just after the init line, you'll find that it creates the P-well implant as the 'substrate' or 'body' for your NMOS, and later the NMOS is built on top of this P-well.
This example is very useful for the introduction to CMOS processing simulation; you need to be familiar with the use of well, which will give the appropriate 'substrate' in a single wafer for two different types (n/p) of device.

mos1ex01 is a very simplistic model. N doped substrates are very common on power devices. However you can easily change the init statement to a P substrate using
init orientation=100 c.boron=2e15
which is a common P tyype substrate doping. All modern IC processes use P-Wells and N-Wells and do not rely on the substrate doping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back