Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on microcontroller's compiler choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DentAnt

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am new with micro controllers. I will need to know
1)if I can use MPLAB C18 Compiler with pickit 3 ?
2)and if that compiler can program all the instructions and functions on the pic micro controller as other expensive compilers like Micro C Pro and CCS compiler can? Or for exemple does the Micro C Pro have some instructions to give some behavior to the micro controller which we can’t get by using MPLAB C18?

Thank you

The recent compiler for PIC12-18 is XC8 which supersedes PIC C18. The free version has the restriction not to enable the highest optimization level. An unrestricted professional version can be purchased.

mikro C and CCS C are scoring with convenience for unskilled C programmers, coming with many built-in compiler functions and application libraries. Unfortunately without source code.

You should also expect some compiler bugs.

Best compilers for a given MCU comes from the manufacturer. They know the hardware best and if they have the compiler go for it.

Unfortunately sometimes the manufacturer's compiler is costly. Many times (myself included) people do not want to pay for the compiler if they are going to use it infrequently.

As you are going to get your feet wet first, any compiler will do. Once you pick up some expertise, go for the best. Some features may not be available on free and generic compilers.

If you are going to use for simple programs, all are equally good. It also depends on how well is the source code written. Much can be done at the source code level.

It is perhaps difficult to compare compilers: all come up with new versions periodically and in my opinion that means improved features and bug removals and code optimizations.

No offence meant but hardware engineers write lousy programs but that simply means that good programming is an art that needs some investment in time and effort.

I believe MPLAB C18 works well in pickit v3 (but I have not used it myself).

I agree with FvM's observation about the convenience of the CCS regarding to the extensive set of API functions that are suitable for those who do not yet have a lot of resourcefulness in handling internal registers of the microcontroller's peripherals. Perhaps an offtopic comment, but I currently take into consideration in the choice of compilers, not only their availability in freeware, but also if they are supported in simulation tools, namely Proteus. In many cases, the possibility of developing the firmware, even before the HW is built, allows a considerable time advance to the project.

No offence meant but hardware engineers write lousy programs but that simply means that good programming is an art that needs some investment in time and effort.

None taken, I'm a hardware guy and I don't think like a software programmer, so I don't write software, but I do write Perl programs to generate or manipulate data for my HDL testbenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.