Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about the negative impulse response of a lead-lag compensator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruwan2

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am studying an equalizer which uses a lead-lag compensator after a high frequency attenuated distortion. At first, it seems quite simple: The equalizer emphasizes high frequency gain to make the total response flat at the high frequency part. When I try to get the total impulse response, I find that the impulse response of the lead-lag filter (nominator:[2.5e10, 1], denominator:[1.0e10, 1]) has a negative response. This is the first time I have a negative impulse response in contrast to the normal positive impulse response. I guess that it is because the high frequency pass feature.

The further problem is that the total impulse response of the low pass channel and the equalizer is still a negative impulse response. On the other hand, I do not see the equalized result has inversed the signal in the Simulink simulation model. How to explain the contradictory?

Please help me if you have the answer.
Thanks.

A first order lead-lag compensator generates a maximum phase shift of 90°, so it can hardly have a a negative impulse response.

I am curious too, but it is got from Matlab for the below
lead-lag filter (nominator:[2.5e10, 1], denominator:[1.0e10, 1])

Its transfer function is:
sys0

sys0 =

2.5e-10 s + 1
-------------
1e-10 s + 1

I get the picture with Matlab code:
figure(4);
[tresp0,t0] = impulse(sys0);
subplot(211);
hold off;
plot(t0*1e9,tresp0);

negaImp.PNG

I cannot find the error yet.
What impulse response can you get? Or what method you can use for that?
Thanks,

The impulse response plot is correct, but not showing the positive impulse at t=0. I think the step response shows better what happens.

I really need the impulse response to check for the eye diagram.
I just realize that impulse response is for transient purpose. It excludes the stable condition (which is for the low pass components), but I still do not make it out for how to get that yet.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back