Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about device drivers for USB host

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohit4849

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am developing a USB host system with PIC OTG chip pic24fj256gb106 to interface to a flash drive...but had a few doubts regarding device drivers . Do these device drivers vary from controller to controller or it is device specific that you want to drive? Its better to develop or where can I find it?
Since am not using any rtos like wince so how do I load it onto my chip?
The initial steps of enumeration before having the data transfer like setup transactions are being done by controller chip automatically??..Thats all
Please help..

USB host

well, mostly usb sticks works as Mass Storage devices (MSD) with some fat (fat16,fat32) microchip provides generic sample which should work with mostly any usbstick (i said 'should' cause i couldnt prove it myself)

as there are some 'special' usb drives, like password protected drives (not by software) Harddisk-to-usb ,or external DVD drives, or so you must check that also... but begin with a simple usb stick (without fancy stuff)

to program a PIC you need a PIC programmer (go check one like a PICkit or ICD2/3 which should program your pic24)... but... do you actually have the PIC? or are you planning to use it? or you already have a development board? in the last case (dev-board) mostly they have an rtos or maybe a bootloader, which should be the prefered way to load a program to the pic...(check the board documentation...)

also the pic have enough hardware to do usb host communication, but i doesn't do it all alone, your firmware must do the enumeration part, just search on microchip for the USB Host samples and you will find there how it enumerates a device...

by the way... have you programmed a PIC24 before? or any microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.