Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prompting to activate windows OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesholv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai

I had a Dell optiplex machine which have windows Xp Pro genuine OS installed , Now it got complaint and then I had try to install that Hard drive in to another HP machine . When I boot from this Hard drive it is asking to acivate windows , Why this happened ? That hard drive which contain Windows Xp Pro OS had already activated, then what is the actual problem here ? Please help me

Regards
Aneesh

It will be an OEM version of windows which is tied to your old machine. You'll have to contact Microsoft and pay for a new license, or just buy a retail copy of Windows.

Hi,
Get new oem licence.Because,That licence activated only your dell machine.Hp machine motherboard bios & i/o control different from dell machine.

Did you try to activate this Windows on the new machine, if yes, what was the response from Microsoft? May you get it activated as the Volume serial number is same. If still it is being refused try to re-install the Windows on new machine and try again to to activate and if still refusal, then -> :oops:

It is as 'old nick' said, operating systems supplied with the big suppliers harware are tied to the machine and are not allowed to be installed on a different machine. OEM software should only be supplied with hardware, Only retail versions can be moved from machine to machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.