Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with MOSFET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhu.b

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on IPD90R1K2C3 mosfet in the DC-DC converters. The mosfet withstand upto with 900V and 150 degrees. But, I am supplying 40V to the input of the circuit and the mosfet getting too much hot which nearly equal to the 150 degrees and above, so that the mosfet's are broken. So, please can you give me the suggestions for how to control the heat over the mosfet?

post your circuit so we analyze for you

it will heat up withing a minute because your mosfet will see it as short circuit the current flowing through L1 but at what freq are you switching your mosfet and i can not guarantee this design

in my point of view,your mosfet doesn't open full.Vgs have not enough voltage to exceed the "Miller" level.

My operating frequency is 3.65MHz.
What is Miller level?

So, please give me the clear explanation about how to solve this problem?

it is not a complete circuit......where is gate driving circuit....
your mosfet working is totally depend on gate driving circuit,frequency ,vgs etc.
to fully switch on the mosfet ipd90r1k2c3 vgs must be 15 volt.

...IPD90R1K2C3 mosfet...
...the mosfet getting too much hot...
I think the IPD90R1K2C3 is a bad choice because Rds(on) is very high, especially when it's hot. Also, it looks like an SMD part, so difficult to heatsink properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.