Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Dash module in a Mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

losullivan59

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am working on the electrical system for a small race car, and have a problem. In my dash, I have a Polaris/Arcticat snowmobile/atv kill switch (Polaris part no 4012269). The kill switch is to turn on/off the master relay (tyco 1904000-1 with internal voltage suppression resistor) in the fusebox which in turn feeds the switched +12 to the fuses and components. The kill switch action is reversed, however - it is open when in the up (running) position, and closed in the down (killed) position. I believe this is used to short the ignition system to ground in some way in the snowmobile/atv. Anyway I want to reverse the action by having the kill switch ground the gate of a mosfet (IRFZ44ZSPBF) through a 10k pullup. The schematic for my setup is attached. This setup doesn't work correctly, however. When I first set this up it appeared to work, but then every once in a while the car would stay on when the kill switch was pushed. After a lot of testing, I figured out it the battery voltage was causing this in some way - below ~12.8V, the mosfet would function correctly, but above that, the mosfet would stay partially closed when the kill switch was depressed. The kill switch is working correctly - the gate sees 12-14 V when the kill switch is up, and 0V when the switch is closed. The last time the problem occurred, I took down the voltages: the gate was at ~10mV above the source, the battery voltage was 13.27V, and the drain / bottom side of the relay coil was at 10.39V. I've heard of mosfets latching when subject to voltage spikes, so even though there was an internal resistor in the relay, I added a flyback diode. That didn't fix it. I also tried wiring in a voltage divider at the gate to reduce the gate voltage to ~6V. That didn't work either. I am kind of new to mosfets, so maybe the problem is obvious to someone a little more experienced.

Thanks!

Re: Mosfet Problem

Try to add a couple of protective diodes, as shown on the attached picture ..

Rgds,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back