Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with converting PS file to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

simce

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I have a problem and i don't have a clue how to solve it. Well i need to convert PostScript file to a PDF, but every program that i tried to use (Acrobat Distiller, GhostView) i got message that this PS file is created from PDF file that has permited PDF redistilling ("Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.". :(
Is there anyone who know how to override this problem? Maybe i have to change some directive in PS file, or something else?
Thank you,
Simce

redistilling encrypted pdf is not permitted

PostScript hasn´t any encryption features as I know...

Do you have the original PDF? Or how did you create the PS file?
Can you print to a printer this PDF/PS file?

Maybe you wanna post your PS file here?

redistilling encrypted pdf

I got PS file from a friend of mine, and i don't know how did he make it! I think that he got the document also in PS. I can not send this file because it contains sensitive information.
I know that PS is not encripted format, I can see the file with GhostView and i can print it on PS printer, but i need to alter some data in it. Because of this i need this document in any edittable format(not graphic format), and i think that PDF is closest match.
I think that there is information in PS that says that PS is made from encrypted PDF file and distiler software doesen't continue with distilling.
I need to know where this information is placed in PS file so i can override it.
Simce

distill encrypted pdf

Did you try to open it with Adobe Illustrator?

Really good at those things...

For "editable" : You can have luck with graphics built-in but most likely not with text (o;

PostScript doesn´t know about paragraphs and linewraps.
Also many PS outputs have already applied kerning information so you most likely don´t even get a single line as a whole (o;

postscript created from encrypted pdf

I have not tried with Adobe Illustrator because i think that the results will be the same. I tried with older version of Adobe Distiller 3.0 thinking that in this version they have not included this protection mechanism but i was unsecessful attempt.
Simce

mark currentfile eexec

maybe you can try ps2pdf in ghostscript tool kit.

ghostscript invalidaccess

I have not tried ps2pdf because i was unable to adjust options (i always got "Bad command or file name", but i've tried this conversion using GhostView graphic interface for this conversion. Here again i got information that ps file was created from protected pdf document!
So i need info how to remove this information from PS file?! :cry:
Simce

redistilling encrypted pdf file

There is indeed a pseudo-protection scheme used by Adobe for ps documents created from PDF with security enabled.

From the unofficial comp.text.pdf FAQ:
Code:
2.6: What is that stuff inserted into PostScript by Acrobat when printing
     encrypted PDFs?

Encrypted PDFs when printed have the following in them:

% Removing the following eight lines is illegal, subject to the Digital
Copyright Act of 1998.
mark currentfile eexec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Which stops Distiller from converting to PDF. What is it?

The eexec'd code reads in cleartext:

/currentdistillerparams where { pop /pdfmark where
  {pop (This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.\n)
  print
  (Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.\n) print
  userdict /quit get exec }if} if
  currentfile closefile

That means, if either your printer knows about currentdistillerparams
  and pdfmark or the PostScript job itself defines these operators (even as 
  dummies, see note below), this code assumes you are going to re-distill the 
  PS job which is forbidden.

NOTE:
  The PostScript driver you use might insert statements like

/currentdistillerparams where
  {pop}
  {userdict/currentdistillerparams{1 dict}put}ifelse
  /pdfmark where
  {pop}
  {userdict/pdfmark{cleartomark}put}ifelse

or the like (see the recommendations in Adobe's Pdfmark Reference
  Manual).
    Helge Blischke (H.Blischke@acm.org)

Have you tried printing from inside Ghostscript to the Adobe PDF printer? That has worked for me.

Bye.

ps to pdf with crypted

I've tried printing to AdobePDF printer, but i got information that GhostScript won't print on this printer crypted ps file.
I also tried to remove this encription part of the ps file but without any sucess.

redistille encrypted pdf

simce said:
I've tried printing to AdobePDF printer, but i got information that GhostScript won't print on this printer crypted ps file.
I also tried to remove this encription part of the ps file but without any sucess.

Install adobe acrobat. then double click at .ps file. and join ...

encrypted pdf postscript

I have Adobe Acrobat, but have the same problem with protected files like simce. Some kind of error message about protected file.

distilling encrypted pdf

hi

i think that the file u have is not post script .....it is photo shop=ps

so u can use photo shop to open it ......and using photoshop u can convert it to acrobat reader as they are from the same company adobe

i wish that help u

how to redistill an encrypted pdf

Fom said:
I have Adobe Acrobat, but have the same problem with protected files like simce. Some kind of error message about protected file.
sorry man, but could you print it with a phisical printer? if you can, you should install a file printer (for example apple ps printer) and print the ps with it, then rename the generated *.prn to *.ps. i think this remove the protection, but if you can print it with phisical printers. then you can convert the new *.ps to pdf.

marti

problem distilling protected pdf

I did that. Really I just wanted to extract text from protected PDF file. Sometimes conversion to PS and back to PDF can help. But last time I printed file to PS printer, open this with gsview and tried to extract text. I get error message: Unrecoverable error: invalidaccess in put.
Then I tried to open this printed PS file with Acrobat Distiller. But result was:
This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.
Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
I also tried PDFWRITE in GSVIEW and advancedpdfpasswordrecovery, but anyway no use.

postscript encrypted pdf

Fom said:
I did that. Really I just wanted to extract text from protected PDF file. Sometimes conversion to PS and back to PDF can help. But last time I printed file to PS printer, open this with gsview and tried to extract text. I get error message: Unrecoverable error: invalidaccess in put.
Then I tried to open this printed PS file with Acrobat Distiller. But result was:
This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.
Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
I also tried PDFWRITE in GSVIEW and advancedpdfpasswordrecovery, but anyway no use.

I am 95% sure that the generated ps file is corrupted, try to re get it from your friend.

redistilling pdf pstopdf

PS file is not corruped because i can print this file on PS phyisical printer. I thing there is information is PS file that does not interfere with content of the printed data which "says" to ps to pdf converters that this file is printed from encrypted pdf file.
I need information where this information is stored in ps file and how to remove it!

pdfmark for encryption

would you please just send it to my email? "mamadreza @ lycos.com". (if its not some sort of secret! ;) ), and, please do not post duplicated messages :( .

EDIT: sorry, i should read the sequence more carefully :oops:, bytheway, do you have a same ps which is not secret? i mean another detected ps which you can send me?

marti

vietnamese postscript to pdf

mamali said:
would you please just send it to my email? "mamadreza @ lycos.com". (if its not some sort of secret!
Please read the whole topic before you post, look at the 3rd post:

simce said:
I can not send this file because it contains sensitive information.

chinese ghostview

I think your problem is because you are using commercial tools.
Licenses, protections, permitions, etc... you pay to have problems.
I solved my problems (similar to yours) in a simple way, and using only freetools!!
If you can print a ps file. It will certainly work.
First install the "Adobe Universal Postscript Driver". It is free and creates a fake printer that will generate a standard postscript format (even if you are printing your non-standard ps file with all those protections) and will save it wo a file in your harddisk.
Secondinstall the FreeDistiller that you can find in the follwing page:
**broken link removed**
This program will convert everything coming out of adobe universal printer driver with no problems. It can also merge different pdf or ps files into a single one.
Hope I could help....
Greetings to all.
S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back