Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Probe pads Used in IC - why to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninge

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ic probe test pad

Hi All,

Any one know about probe pads used in Layouts. why we use those and what is the rules to place them in layout?

probe pad passivation opening

I think the pads should be provided by foundry. And the rules also...

Probe pads Used in IC

Probe pads are not foundry dependent. Rules, sizes, etc. depend on the probing equipment to be used.

Usually you'll have a required minimum passivation opening size and, there, you'll have a limitation (by process) to place devices or lines closer than x microns to that probe pad passivation...

That's about "probe pads", you'll also have other testing pads usually named "engineering pads", in addition to the also usual "bond pads", but I only explained the first ones since I guess it was your question...

Re: Probe pads Used in IC

ninge said:
Hi All,

Any one know about probe pads used in Layouts. why we use those and what is the rules to place them in layout?

I think it is a test pin for on chip before package.

Probe pads are the pads which are not connected directly to the out side world through the pin of the Ic but they are placed just to measure the required voltages or currents by using some precize probing methods.

Basically we use the probepads when we want to know the o/p of particular net but that o/p doesnot need any pin.

I hope u got an idea.

Probe pads Used in IC

Probe pads are basically test pads wherein they are used before package.

Regards,
Sandeep

Hi,

Probe pads are basically test pads to know voltage or current at that point.
In general for critical points (places), we put test/probe pads.
The layout rules for probe/test pads are in process file (DRC file)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back