Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply with backup unit (very simple UPS question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekUT

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kead power supply

Dear all,
for a new design I've to setup a power supply unit power from main line (220 V) and also from a solar cell, also we need to have a battery backup unit inside the system.
At now I'm thinking to use a simple diode 80SQ040 and put this two as wired or from the battery charger unit and the solar charger unit.
To keep the system more simple as possible I'm thinking to set up the schematics attached (PDF).
The 5V output is to supply a KONTRON MOPSlcd7 mother board (5 V for 11 W of power consumption on the worst case), this line should be powered by a DC-DC converter model TEN20-2411WI TRACO POWER 20 W 5 V out), the two other DC-DC converter is to supply the hard disk (there is one into the system) a modem and one other PLC, we use a TEN20-2412WI TRACO POWER module, also power is enough for this applications. The last one DC-DC module (U3) is to power a DC motor with maximum current of 100 mA.
I've some question about the charging systems, at now we've see the Ansmann kead acid battery charger model 5207222/02 ALCT 12-3(**broken link removed**) and use it as external module to charge the battery trough the D2 diode.
What I like to know is of someone have some criticism about this type of connection, with regards the fact that the battery charger can be always attached to the board, may be this type of schema not good for such type of application? There is some resource regarding small UPS or other better solution that I can take a look?
I'm very gratefully if someone can take a look on it.

Thanks in advance
F.F.

2 notes to the circuit that looks okay
1- the charger from mains will work okay, though diode D2 will prevent that the battery is 100% charged. Check if there is not a diode inside the charger, this would mean you can cancel D2.
2- you do not mention how the solar charger is working, but I assume it has some sort of current and voltage limiting, so the solar cell will not frey the battery. Again it is possible that the solar charger(regulator) has a diode in the output.

Thank for reply, here below the link about the battery charger:

**broken link removed**

Bye
Powermos

Status
Not open for further replies.