Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible metastability in shift register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I got an EE degree years ago, but haven't used my synchronous circuit design skills in years! I'm trying to design a circuit, but hit a conceptual snag. Hoping someone can explain if my reasoning is correct. Here's the situation below.

Suppose you have two D flip flops connected together in a two bit shift register configuration (i.e. the output of FF1 => input of FF2.) Both flip flops are clocked by the same clock source, and the input to FF1 is synchronous with this clock source.

If the propagation delay of FF1 is less than the setup + hold time of FF2, then won't the output of FF2 go metastable when the circuit is clocked, because FF2's setup and hold time requirements have been violated???

The reason I ask it that, I was thinking of making just such a shift register on a circuit I'm designing, using an a few unused flip flops on an octal Dff already on the board. However, when I checked, I found that the setup time for this Dff = 2 ns, the hold time = 2 ns, and the propagation delay = 2 ns. Therefore, setup + hold time = 4 ns > 2 ns, and we have the aforementioned possible metastability, no?

Thus, the moral of the story would be (if I'm right): you can't just assume its okay to make a shift register by hooking the inputs of one D flip flop to the outputs of another, even if the flip flops are on the same chip! You may run into metastability problems if you don't check that the propagation delay > setup + hold time.

Again, (if I'm right) wouldn't this also be a good argument for buying and using a commercial shift register, rather than making your own out of Dff's, since such metastability conditions should be designed against in the silicon of the commercial shift register unit?

Setup time doesn't come into play without knowing a clock frequency, in so far your calculation is incorrect. The only condition of general interest is th <= tpd. Simply assume, that it's kept for a catalog part. Strictly spoken, you have to check it for the internal propagation delay, the external one would be considerably larger anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.