Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help with power supply design - multiple precision outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanonka

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need help with design of PS with following specs:
Input - 19.5V (regular laptop PS);
Outputs -
+43V / 0.8A, precision and load regulation within 0.2% or better; load sharply switches from 10mA to 0.8 A;
+36V/ 50mA, precision within 1% or better; load is constant;
+5V / 2A, precision and load regulation within 1% or better; load can vary from 50mA to 2A, sometimes sharply (user inserts USB device; but mostly this is MCU and precision DACs supply);
-0.04V / 1mA, precision within 1% or better; load is constant;
-1.25V/ 50mA, precision within 1% or better; load is constant;

I don't care about PCB space (well, within reasonable limits, of course :))
I don't care much about efficiency, as long as total power draw is less than 65W; but I also don't want to have heatsinks, unless absolutely necessary (because this adds cost).
I do care about cost and minimum components possible (well, cost is the main consideration; if there is a solution with more components but overall cheaper, I'm all for it!)

Right now I have straight, dumb design - one buck, one boost and one inverting convertor; 4 LDOs (3 positive, one negative); supply for -0.04V/1mA is just a resistor divider from shunt reference. Simulated this thing successfully in LTSpice, used cheapest components that fit specs.

But, the whole design is ... ugly. For example, to get 0.2% for load regulation on +43V rail, I beefed up output capacitor to 1200uF (!). (It's dumb, but it works). I think that this could be done simpler and more elegant. I don't know, may be some existing 4 or 5-output chip, or something. Or SEPIC with some off-the shelf transformer. I'm not a PS designer at all, so may be someone can give me a hint?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

add some Cs or LC to filter the 19V. Add bulk capacitor.

+43V: Step up / boost converter. Instead of adding output capacitors you may speed up regulation loop. At first i´d add a capacitor in parallel to the upper resistor of the feedback voltage divider.
Next you may add a active feedback as P-I regulation loop. Further you may add a load current measurement and add the information to the feedback path.
All the circuits/values must be well chosen to avoid oscillation.

+36V: linear regualtor from +43V, Also possible: voltage reference and opamp. Maybe added a current boost transistor.

+5V: step down / buck from 19V. try to find a high quality regulator.

next i´d use a capacitive voltage inverter (like the old 7660) to generate-5V out of +5V. Try to find one that can supply >50mA for the -1.25V

-0.04V: same reference as above and an additional opamp. Powered from -5V

-1.25V: Linear regualtor form -5V; or use the reference above and an additional OPAMP with current boost transistor. P_tot = about 0.2W..no problem.

Klaus

Well, that's exactly what I did, but it's just too many regulators and components. May be there is simpler design?

Status
Not open for further replies.