Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me with proper dsp board design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrodarkness

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!
I'm in my final year at the university, and I'm trying to create a digital guitar effects pedal with dsp chip. Until now I was working only with PIC-s, dsPIC-s. The idea would be the following: Designing analog amplifier/impedance matcher for input and output. Using CODEC for AD/DA conversion - I have two chips PCM3060 and AD1938, both with I2S interface, SDRAM for looper. The dsp at hand is a TMS320VC5507 chip. The last part is designing a user interface with PIC micro controller.
The question is can I use the mentioned dsp with the codec? - I didn't see I2S peripheral mentioned in the dsp datasheet, or could I implement a soft I2S with multi-channel buffered serial port?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

After reading and rereading the datasheets and app notes, I'm still a little confused. on the TMS320VC5507 datasheet it says the McBSP port supports IIS protocol, but if I wire it up as Dout -> DR0, Din <- DX0, LRCLK1 -> FCLKR0, LRCLK2 <- FCLKX0, BCLK1 -> CLKR0, BCLK2 <- CLKX0, with PCM3060(ADC slave, DAC master) <-> *C5507, I don't know where to connect the clock input of the codec, and the frame input/output of the dsp differs from the L/R signal of the codec. Would it still be possible to use the upper mentioned setup, or would it be wise to implement a soft I2C with GPIO?

Hi,

what about a schematic or drawing... it could help to understand the problem.

Klaus

I've attached all of my work until now. On the block scheme the self boot EEPROM will be replaced with USB boot, but the problem is on pages 5/6.

Attachments

• board.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 82

Also, the datasheet shows a dsp <-> sdram connection with BGA cased dsp, leaving A0 out, and using A14 address pin. On my LQFP chip there is no A14, only A[0..13], that means I need to use a sdram driver?
Any help about the I2S bus or the Parallel bus would be appreciated!

Ps: I updated my schematics.

Attachments

• board.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 68

Status
Not open for further replies.