Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Placing Ports for RF pad simulation in Sonnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeem Ademola Mustapha

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have issue with the type of ports to use in sonnet for my pad design. There are the 1) standard ports 2) co-calibrated ports and 3) Autognd ports

My pad is a one port circuit. so if I want to use the standard port, its either I put the ports (with port number 1) on the both sides of the pad as shown in the picture and then de-embed to the two sides of the pad.
oneport2.PNG
The other option is to place a single port in the middle of the pad as shown below:

oneport1.PNG

It is interesting to know that the simulation results for these two are actually different. What baffles me is that I was getting a negative capacitance value (i.e. it is inductive) in the case where the port is in the middle.

If I am to use co-calibrated port, I cannot use a single port because of interference of the port with a metal. So I used the first approach above where I place the ports by the sides of the pad with little or no de-embedding. I was getting positive capacitance value here but the resistance seems small (between 20-100ohms from 40 - 100GHz).

So, in short the port placements has significant effect on the simulation result. I think if the port is not properly placed, it could result in unreliable result like getting a negative capacitance value or a very low resistance value (e.g. 0.1 - 5ohms) or a very high Q like 100.

My questions are:
Can anybody tell me what I have been doing wrong.
Which approach is valid, a single port or two ports with the same port number?
What is the proper way of connecting the ports for an rf pad design in sonnet?

Thanks as I await your valuable response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back