Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F877A with 32Mhz crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMradio

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey guys
can i use 32Mhz crystal with PIC16F877A to make the processing speed fast, according to the datasheet the max osc frequency is 20Mhz ??
now tell what should i do ?

I thought it can't possible to 32Mhz. ie,you can run it at up to 20MHz only, otherwise it may overheated & a possible chance of killing the PIC . So you may choose the PIC 16F873A.

Hi,
As far as i know the maximum frequency which you can use for this chip is 20MHz (as you said).
Since there is no PLL for this chip,you can't increase the frequency.
For 32Mhz clock,you can use PIC18F452 with PLL.
Be successful.

Hi,
You may be able to run it but the problem is it's beyond the tested limits set by Microchip. This means, while you may run it at 32MHz, the PIC may overheat or other problems may arise that will cause the PIC to fail.
With PIC18, you can use an 8MHz clock and use PLL to increase the operating speed fourfold to 32MHz.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

it's a bad idea to overclock a pic microcontroller. try Scenix micro at 75mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.